In Phase II of the Language to Literacy Program we pick up right where we left off and continue to move through our back-to-basics hierarchy. Phase II continues to address all of the previous goals, and we focus on improving decoding and spelling skills while establishing specific strategies for improved reading comprehension.
Goals of Phase II include:
- Continued improvement of phonological skills along the hierarchy (emphasis on application of sound/letter correspondence to decoding and spelling)
- Movement beyond phonological skills into prefix/suffix awareness, creation of mental images of words, and explicit learning of spelling rules and patterns
- Explicit learning of decoding and spelling skills
- Improved reading comprehension
- Improved oral and written language skills
Program may help your child if they struggle with:
- Paying attention and listening;
- Asking for repetitions or expressing when they don’t understand;
- Following directions or remembering information;
- Getting and staying organized;
- Understanding syllables and sounds in words;
- Understanding the meaning of words;
- Reading and sound-letter correspondence;
- Understanding and remembering what they have read.
LLP is organized around three-day cycles.
Each day targets specific skills:
“A” Days- Listen and Remember
Building auditory processing and organization skills, as well as reinforcing strategies for attention, listening, and memory.
“B” Days-Sound Check
Hierarchical approach to multi-sensory phonological awareness work, including rhyming as well as segmenting, isolating, and manipulating sentences/words, syllables, and sounds.
“C” Days-Understand it
Reviewing broader themes and comprehension of vocabulary and stories, as well as carryover and functional use of weekly targets.
Full program dates:
July 6th-August 5th, Tuesday-Friday (week of 4th of July) and Monday-Thursday (all remaining weeks); 90-minute sessions, times to be set based on interest and availability.
This 20-session program may be insurance-eligible or accessible through scholarship.